BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (BDD)
FEBRUARY 2020 - IMMEDIATE START
My client is offering an exciting career opportunity for a Business Development Director (BDD) to join at the start of the sales journey to help grow the company and enjoy the associated financial and career rewards. The successful candidate will devise a robust sales strategy, deliver early customer wins, whilst managing and building a sales team to deliver consistent results. Reporting to the CEO, the successful Business Development Director will benefit from the potential for fast track promotion to Chief Revenue officer (CRO). Please note that whilst we are advertising for a "Business Development Director" the successful candidate may hold a different title such as Chief Revenue Officer (CRO), Sales Director, Head of Sales, Sales Manager, etc.
My client, a pre-revenue, VC backed, Martech / Adtech startup, was founded 5 years ago with the mission to help marketers provide customers with a more compelling, personalised, and engaging experience. Backed by strong investment of over $6m from major transatlantic investors and with the aid of industry leading advisors, the staff have grown to circa 25 people with an existing funnel of high profile customers. The principal offering is a SaaS solution which harnesses artificial intelligence, computer vision and psychographic data to drive higher levels of performance by increasing relevance of the marketing creative to target consumers. The proposition is capable of delivering a compelling return on investment, for example an increase as small as 5% in engagement can drive a seven digit increase in top line sales.
With world class technology skills and a growing blue chip customer pipeline, the emphasis is now on sales, winning new contracts and scaling the business.
Routes to market:
- Direct Sales: Marketing decision makers at large brands (e.g CMO / Marketing Director / Marketing manager / Brand Manager / Campaign Director).
- In-Direct Sales via 3rd party sales: Partnerships with leading marketing agencies.
The role is based at the company headquarters in London and will own the go-to-market (GTM) strategy once approved by the Board. With a clear focus on delivering / exceeding sales targets in line with company and investor expectations. The successful BDD will initially manage two Business Development Managers and with a Sales budget already in place enabling the Business Development Director to hit the ground running.
- Take ownership of the sales function and accountability for revenue/margin
- Devise and deliver a Go To Market strategy including pricing
- Deliver proof of concept and “on model” sales (sales involving annual recurring revenue):
- A mix of new business sales to marketing leaders at large brands, account management and forming partnerships with tier 1 marketing agencies.
- Management and development of the sales organisation
- Responsible for budgeted headcount (hiring / firing) of sales team
- Reporting to board standards:
- Go-To-Market strategy milestone achievement
- Forecast against key sales pipeline gates and metrics
- Feedback sales “blockers” and product improvement recommendations
- Act as the internal “voice of the customer”
- Manage the customer base to a high level of customer satisfaction, credible for due diligence by future investors / shareholders.
- Immediately take over the sales pipeline and deliver 3 early sales “wins” (3 months).
- Win 10 net new and on-model blue-chip customers in the year
- Deliver sales process and pipeline management metrics.
- Design a sales “playbook” in line with the evolving SOP for the company.
- Strong performance will open the opportunity for fast-track progression to CRO.
The successful candidate will require both industry and product knowledge to be successful and hence is most likely to come from a Martech / Adtech background. A strong manager of people, a true leader, able to close deals whilst coaching others to deliver. Well connected with Marketing decision makers across big brands and able to work on deal sizes of £100k upwards.
- High level of gravitas
- Driven and persuasive, winning mind-set
- Exceptional communicator and relationship builder
- Simplifier of complexity
- Demonstrably successful sales career
- Proven ability to sell new technology into senior marketing decision makers at big brands
- Proven ability to sell through “tier 1” marketing agencies
- A network of CMO contacts at large brands
- Delivered first revenues and sales processes at previous companies
- High integrity
- Familiarity with bridging an internal facing technology culture to an external facing, client-obsessed media industry mindset
- Worked at a VC backed, pre-revenue technology business
Please send your CV and cover letter first and then get in contact with Talent Acquisition lead, Dan Corcoran to arrange a phone call to discuss “fit” for you and for us:
- ASAP Competency interview with Talent Acquisition lead.
- FEBRUARY 20th Face to face Interview with Founders.
- Following week Meet the board of directors and investors.
Please note that whilst we are advertising for a "Business Development Director" the successful candidate may hold a different title such as Chief Revenue Officer (CRO), Sales Director, Head of Sales, Sales Manager, etc.
REMUNERATION & BENEFITS:
Basic Salary: £70k - £120 negotiable for the right candidate.